RHS Culinary Arts Partners with the RHS Transition Program to Teach Virtual Cooking Courses
Over the past 6 weeks, the Randolph High School Culinary Arts Department has been working in collaboration with the Transition Program to teach students a different type of life skill. Both departments have been working together to create virtual cooking courses which teach students how to create low cost, healthy meals that the whole family can enjoy.
At the beginning of each course, students are asked questions on simple culinary terms, what they feel prices of items are and finish off with a virtual cooking demonstration. On June 3, 2020 Chef Povinelli, Brianne McBreen, Richard Eva, and graduating RHS senior Matthew Donnelly taught a new recipe just in time for summer. The students learned how to make grilled watermelon pizza which was finished off with wilted arugula, goat cheese and a balsamic glaze. After the demonstration, Mr. Eva, Ms. McBreen and Chef Povinelli delivered the class creation to the students of the Transition Program so that they would be able to taste this refreshing summer treat. "It has been an unprecedented year with COVID-19 virtual learning. It was amazing to me that even during this time, we can still come together as one in the name of Cuisine," Chef Povinelli said. "I was honored to be able to connect with such amazing students!"
Want the full recipe from the lesson? Check out this simple recipe below.
Grilled Watermelon Pizza
1 large seedless watermelon
¼ cup balsamic glaze
¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
1 large container baby arugula
1 large container of Goat Cheese
Fresh black pepper
1. Peel watermelon and slice into pizza shape brush with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Preheat grill on high.
3. Prepare balsamic glaze per your choice recipe or purchase already prepared glaze.
4. Place watermelon on the hot grill creating the charred criss cross pattern both sides of the watermelon.
5. To assemble place a small amount of arugula on grill to wilt. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from grill and spread evenly over the grilled watermelon.
6. Complete by crumbling and sprinkling the goat’s cheese on top of the arugula. Finish off with the balsamic glaze in a crisscross pattern